I plan to get my own copy of Shame Lifter so I can go back over the questions at the end of each chapter. Plus I have a lot of highlighting to do! Marilyn writes with transparency of her growing up years living in an environment that produced within her a sense of shame, leaving her with nagging thoughts that imposed on her life. These shame-based feelings held her in a prison of self-condemning thoughts that tormented her whenever she would receive a compliment, especially after speaking in public.
One loving, but honest comment made to Marilyn after a speaking engagement began a journey to finding freedom from the shame-based thoughts that plagued Marilyn for years. Anyone who struggles with anything along these same lines will find themselves absorbed in Marilyn's story. But she doesn't leave you hanging in defeat or wallowing in hopelessness. At the end of each chapter Marilyn gives questions for reflection, then gives positive and encouraging tips that she calls "Shame Lifters," and offers an insightful and meaningful prayer of commitment and renewal.
Whenever I am with Marilyn she always draws me to Jesus. That's what I love about her! Her writing does the same. She draws her readers to the ultimate Shame Lifter and shares how she found victory and freedom in the love and truth of her heavenly Father. She writes, "no longer do I want my past circumstances, lies, or shame to shape me. I long to be shaped by the Lord Jesus."
The Lord Jesus has been shaping me over the years so that I no longer see myself as inadequate. Marilyn's book affirmed His good work in my life and gave me new levels of understanding in my walk in freedom. Thank you, Marilyn, for sharing your story!
"Those who look to him for help will be radiant with joy;
no shadow of shame will darken their faces."
Psalm 34:5
no shadow of shame will darken their faces."
Psalm 34:5
4 comments:
Thank you Gwen for this blog post and a message for all of us to embrace. The enemy wants to defeat us to make us ineffective, but to see God's answer for us all beyond our circumstances is a reflection of the great love he has for us. Our faith can only be strengthen as we draw by faith on the powere that he gives us to overcome. I am definitely going to read Marilyn's book with your recommendation.
Dear Gwen, thanks for the note.
I sure hope the 3rd is different! =D
Hi Gwen! I too wrote a book review on this book "Shame Lifter" which I posted on my blog. It was very enlightening because I was struggling with similar issues and God is helping me deal with those issues. Thanks to Marilyn and I am thankful to the Lord.
Rather interesting blog you've got here. Thanks the author for it. I like such themes and everything that is connected to them. I would like to read more soon.
Hilary Benedict
Post a Comment