I heard from all my kids today either via phone, email, snail mail, or video. It does a mother's heart good! An added bonus was hearing each of the voices of my grandchildren. Evee chatted on the phone while her mom was shopping at Trader Joe's. I love to hear, "Hi Grandma!" And then, "Love you Grandma" when it's time to say goodbye. My heart just melts at the sound of those words. Miles babbled over the phone at the end of a conversation with Joni and everything in me wanted to pick him up and squeeze him tight. Then, at midnight (yes, it's late here in Hungary) Josh sent an email with a link that shows a youtube video of Stella jabbering and toddling around her room before bedtime. Dennis and I laughed out loud at her sweetness, her laughter, and her noisy chatter. Oh, how fun it would be to be silly with her.
What a joy to be a mom! And, a grandma!
Today I received a Mother's Day card from Joni. I think it was the first time that I received personal mail since we moved to Budapest. Her meaningful words and a snapshot of the kids and me from over 20 years ago brought tears to my eyes. It stirred the sentimental in me and I found myself looking at old photos that I had scanned and loaded into my computer last year. Photos of births, birthdays, family vacations, holidays, school events, graduations, weddings... all brought back so many memories. Memories that capture the love, affection, laughter, togetherness that we shared, and still share, as a family. We had crazy times of acting silly and moments when we all had the giggles so bad we were out of control laughing. It always seemed to happen at the most inopportune times, much to Dennis' dismay. And we've had our moments of stress and tension to be sure, but I wouldn't trade any of it for the joy of being a mom.
Motherhood as I knew it back then isn't the same anymore, nor should it be. Now three out of the four are a Dad and Mom's themselves. The great thing about being a mom is that the family begins to multiply and making memories doesn't stop.
Wishing a Happy Mother's Day to all the moms that read my blog!
But, I especially want to say...
Happy Mothers Day to Kari, Jamie, and Joni! You all are great moms and I am so proud of you. I couldn't ask for more devoted moms than each of you are to Stella, Evee, and Miles.



4 comments:
Happy Mother's Day Gwen. You're a great mom!
Cheryl Bruce
Happy Mothers Day. Love you so much.
We can't wait to see you! So excited!
Happy Mother's day.
So glad to have you as my mom. I could not have asked for a better one. Really. I have loved having you as a mom. Happy mother's day!
Post a Comment