We usually use the term "meltdown" to describe a stressful moment in life.
I wondered how such a term originates. After checking with my widget dictionary I discovered this: a meltdown is described as "an accident in a nuclear reactor in which the fuel overheats and melts the reactor core or shielding." That could describe a stressful moment... if you were a nuclear engineer. My thesaurus seemed to sum it up best. An informal freak-out. Now that I can relate with.
I wondered how such a term originates. After checking with my widget dictionary I discovered this: a meltdown is described as "an accident in a nuclear reactor in which the fuel overheats and melts the reactor core or shielding." That could describe a stressful moment... if you were a nuclear engineer. My thesaurus seemed to sum it up best. An informal freak-out. Now that I can relate with.
To be honest, I have had my share of meltdowns over the past... well, let's say 5 months. Life has been full of transitions and then in the transitions we've had to transition. It's really been a bit crazy, and don't even think for a minute that I've graced this entire time with a positive attitude and a spirit of trust. I've had my moments of overheating, melting down any sense of quiet trust and faith that I might of had the day before.
During a recent visit to my parents I asked about a book I noticed laying on their coffee table. They began to share with me the story of a pastor in PA who battled with an aggressive type of leukemia. Encouraged to write of the months of hospitalization, agonizing chemo treatments, and near death experiences, Dave Hess, eleven years later, tells the story of God's grace and healing through Hope Beyond Reason. Dad and Mom sent the book home with me and at first thought I wasn't expecting much impact since I wasn't dealing with any dire physical issues in need of healing.
Last Saturday I sat down and read the book in one sitting.
I'm not dealing with a life-threatening cancer, but the principles weaved throughout his story apply to anyone in a place where trust must overcome fear, faith must replace doubt, and prayer must take the place of worry. Meltdowns come when fear, doubt, and worry break down the shield of God's promises and truths.
When writing of God's faithfulness, Dave Hess reminded me how "gratitude keeps our hearts glued to the Lord's presence." He goes on to say, "When we forget His faithfulness, our spiritual senses become dull... but remembering His goodness awakens our spiritual sensitivity."
Lately God has gently reminded me of His faithfulness over the years. He has never failed Dennis and me. His grace has carried us through difficult times and danced with us in moments of joy. It's when I forget His faithfulness that I lose hope. Hess says, "Something deadly happens when we forget what the Lord has done." Hmmm... might that be called a meltdown?
God's promises have a cooling effect on the heat of stress; they keep me from boiling over in discouragement or despair. This week He has reminded me:
- Philippians 4:6&7 - Don't worry... pray about everything... don't forget my answers... I will give you a peace that goes beyond your understanding.
- Psalm 34:1-9 - Pray and cry out to me... I will hear and answer, setting you free from all your fears. Those who trust in me will have joy. Those who honor me will have all they need.
- Psalm 32:7,10 - I am your hiding place; I will protect you from trouble. I will surround you with songs of victory. My unfailing love surrounds those who trust in me.
- Joshua 1:6-9 - Be strong and courageous... study and meditate on my Word... obey it... don't be afraid or discouraged. For I will be with you wherever you go.
9 comments:
Thinking of you a lot lately! Here's one that's been hovering around my head this week:
"Look to the rock from which you were cut, and to the quarry from which you were hewn; look to Abraham your father and to Sarah who gave you birth." Isaiah 51
We have a great heritage!
Thanks for this Jen! It was an encouragement to me.
Dropped those prayer cards off in your box :).
So encouraging mom! Thanks for this. Cannot wait to have you here!
Joni
I really needed this today. Thanks for posting. :) Kristi B.
I love being a part of your life. Meltdowns included. Thanks for the encouragement.
Jill
I sure like this, and I need to here it, I am not close to a melt down but have been a little stressed. so thanks,
I am keeping you in my prayers today. Just a quick update: I still live in the Holland area, although in Zeeland.
I have 3 daughters: the oldest is married with 2 children; the middle is a senior in high school;
the youngest is in 3rd grade and I am homeschooling her.
Laurie Van Dommelen
This is beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to reconnecting with you on this side of the pond. Susan Major
Love the post. I've been needing heaps of grace lately, as I've been taking meltdown lessons from my kids and having a few myself. Thankfully I'm surrounded my grace-giving folks. Laughed outloud at "informal freak-out" :)
Post a Comment