6.10.2012

Transition - Part 1

With Dennis' recent election to Executive Director of Global Partners, I thought perhaps it would be appropriate to share one of my writings, simply called Transition, with you. It's something I wrote while taking an online writing workshop during our first year in Budapest.

One of the writing prompts was to develop a character within our creative nonfiction writing piece. It was to include physical characteristics, but also the essence of a person. My writing coach suggested that I write a personification on transition. I took her up on it. It made sense since we had just come through several transitions and were still transitioning to our new life in Europe. So, my piece was an abstract writing about a reality, but not necessarily a person. Though, I would say that as I wrote, I couldn't help but think of God's Spirit hovering over the essence of "transition."

Let me preface as to the first sentence. I first met God personally through Jesus at the age of ten, my first encounter with major transition was when I was 20, and yes, God's Spirit was all over that. I'll post this as a series as the piece is 3 pages long. Thanks for hanging with me. I trust it will be an encouragement to all those who are even now in the middle of transitions in life.


I first encountered him when I was 20.  Oh, I had brushed passed him a few times in my late teens, but this time it was more than a chance meeting. It was an encounter that formed a life-long relationship that would alter the course of my life. Fate had nothing to do with it. Sure, there would be some unexpected twists and turns, but it was his common sense, forethought, and wisdom that made his counsel and direction an inner sanctum in spite of the unknowns. 

Meeting "Transition" face-to-face was like welcoming a long-lost friend. He showed up in my life at the most opportune times, almost as if he could hear my thoughts. He’d ask all the right questions. Make me think about life. He’d stir my heart to dream. To imagine. What did I want my life to count for? Who was I and where did I fit into this complex world? What were my heart’s passions and desires? What was the unique pathway for my life? 

His intent look with those deep-set, almost black eyes, would drive those probing questions deep into my heart. 

He seemed to know just where to draw the boundary lines when he surveyed the map of my life, at least for a season. Then, almost like he knew the distant future, he would begin to sketch out details, some vague, some clear. A network of roads, bridges, towns and cities, even physical features, began to create the landscape of my life.

During late-night walks, his eyes would stare at the ground in deep thought as he methodically spoke what his brain was cranking out. And then, as if in slow motion, he would turn his thoughts upward, gazing at the stars as if a higher power was helping him chart out the course. There was no pat formula. He would help others through this unique process, but when he was with me, I knew his mind was nowhere else. We would sort through life and faith, realities and limitations, dreams and desires, with careful consideration, but not without room for refinement.

His calm-natured manner made me feel comfortable as we sifted through life’s important questions. His high belief and loving affirmations created an excitement for what was to come. I anticipated my times with him.

To be continued . . .  :)



1 comment:

Josh Jackson said...

Loved this just as much the second time Mom. So excited to see how this new transition fleshes itself out!